Beasley & Judson's FANBOY Magazine

http://www.comicspriceguide.com/boards/Topic42619.aspx
Print Topic | Close Window

By jaylynch2 - 11/27/2008 10:33:00 AM
Just how serious are you guys about this comix stuff?  Does anyone own a copy of the l972 fanzine titled FANBOY that was edited by Bill Beasley and Al Judson?  Bill and Al put the word into the lexicon.  Now "Fanboy" is in the dictionary.  Yet when I check google on the etymology of the word...Bill and Al seem to be totally left out of the history of the word's origin.  What gives?
By Rick Bradford - 1/5/2009 10:54:26 AM
Jay, I imagine you've seen (or helped instigate) this new post at Potrzebie but it seems the subject has finally gotten some internet "air time" apart from forums:

http://potrzebie.blogspot.com/2009/01/origin-of-word-fanboy.html

(Sorry, would've responded to it at Poopsheet but I moved the forums and didn't touch any threads started by others.)
By jaylynch - 1/5/2009 11:43:48 PM
Fanboy was an important mag. It put a word into the language... and the mag is funnier than most comix were then. So I have been airbrushing some of the old Fanboy mag art. An especially great item is Rick Porka's "Acid Rock" poster. That is gonna look plenty fine in color. And everyone out there should nominate Bill Beasley for some special category Harvey Award. After all, how many cartoonists in our lifetime have put a word into the dictionary?
By 50centII - 1/6/2009 7:51:00 AM
So the one pictured in the article is issue #5 with a print run of 11 copies? How many copies of the earlier issues where there and how many issues total where there? Anyone have a full set of the Fanboy series?
By jaylynch - 1/6/2009 6:30:40 PM
There is only the one issue of Fanboy. That is Fanboy #5. It's listed in Kennedy's Price Guide.
There were 11 copies of #5 printed in '72 or '73.
The issue was reprinted with a slight change to the back cover in '74 or so. 20 or so copies.
Finally , the issue was printed a third time. in '75 or so. 20 copies, or thereabouts. The third printing is called "The Underground Heads Ish". It has the same stuff that's in the first 2 printings, but additional pages of psychedellic stuff were added after Judson and Beasley discovered acid.
By 50centII - 5/21/2009 7:04:32 AM
I just noticed this in the Jay Kennedy guide that it states Fanboy is from the late 70's (Chicago Comicon) and that the names and dates are fictitious. The 2nd print is stated, but not the 3rd print. Where did Kennedy get this info?

Here's a post I found online at Jay's site that has more info.

"Reply by Jay Lynch on July 14, 2008 at 1:04pm
Many words in the English language had their origins in the comic strips. The cartoonist Tad Dorgan invented many a new word in his early comics. The term "Heebie Jeebies" comes from Billy DeBeck's Barney Google comic strip. The comics have long been a fertile field for the cultivation of new words and phraises which ultimately have found their way into the dictionary.
Thus, I would like here to state the definitive origin of the word "Fanboy," for the sake of history. In the early l960s, Bill Killeen's CHARLATAN magazine often used the southern epithet "Funboy" to deride their critics. So at this time "funboy" was part of the vocabulary of the cartoonists associated with Charlatan. The term was used to describe mindless, madras wearing , crew-cutted conservative college students who enjoyed drinking beer , watching football, and voting Republican. The term stuck with me for many years after that, and I would sometimes use it in conversation with free-speech advocate cartoonists from the south and southwest, for whom it had become part of their vocabulary.
In l973, there was a reaction against underground comix in the circles of the early comic fanzine publishers. There was a general consensus among most that the new medium, because of it's exercise of freedom of expression and it's defiance of traditional comic book censorship policies, was bad for the comics industry. The general thought among these reactionaries was that it gave comic books a black eye. Of course, the traditional collectors of comics who were putting out fanzines then were primarily concerned with Marvels and DCs, and not the Vulgar Modernists books like Mad and Zap and Bijou.
And so, in the year l973, a group of us Vulgar Modernists put together a fanzine which we titled "FANBOY".
This mag was supposedly published by Bill Beasley and Al Judson, two fictional characters that Glenn Bray and I created. The mag on the surface resembled a typical fanzine. But if you read it, there was a strange dynamic between the literary creations of Judson and Beasley. And the mag was meant to satirize contemporary attitudes of the traditional comic fans regarding the new "underground comix". Those who worked on the first edition of FANBOY ( of which only 20 or so copies were xeroxed for distribution at a Chicago comic convention) included Alan Dodge, Bob Armstrong, KathyGodell, John Petrie and myself. I came up with the title: a distortion of the term "Funboy". These copies were sold at this l973 comic con. Several months later, Justin Green,Denis Kitchen, and others sent in psudonynomous letters and contributions to the second edition of the first ish of FANBOY. I did several more pages of inkwork for the second printing, and Glenn Bray published a small run of what was called "The underground Heads Ish" of FANBOY. The plot being that the editors had taken LSD, and changed their way of thinking a little bit.
We did the mag as a gag....as a hoax. Crumb followed FANBOY's progress, and a year or so later he used the term "fanboy" in his weekly Mr. Natural strip for the Village Voice. After that, the word slowly seeped into the lexicon...and it is now in most dictionarys.
So this insane little mag that we did as a throw-away gag is now a highly desired collectable. And I must say...it's method of presentation (wherein a tale is told between the lines) is truly a fine work of american literature.
So this is the origin of the word "Fanboy".
While dictionaries speculate on the origin of the word, no attribution of it's use is as early as l973. And (like rap music and underground comix themselves) it's actual origin is misreported in all accounts I have read so far."
By 50centII - 5/21/2009 7:09:35 AM
Here's on that arrived recently, that is somewhat related (not the one discussed earlier).

It's a comic book from 1988 that reprints strips from 1983-1988 by Doug Holverson. What I thought interesting is the statement on the cover that is an obvious direct reference to the cover of the JK guide. Appears they probably was more than one print of this comic.
By jaylynch - 5/21/2009 8:20:22 PM
Glenn Bray and I started to do Fanboy in '72. I am pretty sure the first printing came out in '73. And I know that the second printing came out before '76 and the third printing (the Underground Heads Ish) came out before '78. But this is only my memory....recalling what apartment I lived in when I recall looking at the various printings. In those days, Jay Kennedy would come down to Chicago and visit me and Skip Williamson...so he probably got the info from me. But I don't know the exact year that the thing was first published. Alan Dodge and Bob Armstrong are the first printing as well. Maybe Armstrong can recall the year. In any event, it did come out before the Kennedy Guide. So even if it was published in the late 70s, it is still the first use of the word.
A fancy art gallery in NY bought the original art to Fanboy from Glenn recently.
They are planning an elaborite Fanboy art show maybe 6 months from now.