What to Get signed by Stan Lee

http://www.comicspriceguide.com/boards/Topic129037.aspx
Print Topic | Close Window

By uthmandan00 - 3/2/2011 1:28:16 PM
I have a chance to have Stan Lee sign a comic and only one, which should I choose..  

1. The Amazing Spider-man #12 

2. Amazing Adventures #3 (First Labeled Marvel Comic)

3. Fantastic four #587 (death of torch)

4. Amazing Spider-man #41 (First Rhino)

Lets hear it I have some others that would be eligible too. i have the all the white issues of Ultimate spiderman which i have thought about. 
By Shadow - 3/2/2011 3:54:02 PM
I'd probably go with the Spider-man #12...Wink
By oxbladder - 3/2/2011 5:25:07 PM
Whatever books he actually worked on (as a creator) and not edited would be my choice.
By masterlogan2000 - 3/2/2011 5:27:53 PM
The real question here is...  Why are you getting it signed?  Are you looking for the satisfaction of owning something that "The Man" has scribbled on that you can cherish forever and ever?  Or are you looking to get it signed to hopefully increase the value of the comic?

If it's the former, does it really matter?  Get the book that means the most to you or possibly the one that Stan has had the biggest hand in.  I would even suggest getting an entirely different book signed from your personal collection.  Pick out a book that you really enjoyed in which he was the writer.

If you're looking to make a buck on this, are you planning on CGC'ing it and getting their Signature Series stamp?  It's been debated here on the boards at length about the pros and cons of getting something signed.  My view is that unless the book is authenticated, I would view a signature as detracting from the value of the comic.  At least with CGC's SS program, you know you're getting the real deal.

Regardless, if you want to get it signed to increase the value, forget about FF #587.  That book will be worthless in 3 years when the "House of Ideas" brings him back.  ASM #12 and #41 are classics, so you can't go wrong with either of those.  Amazing Adventures #3 is rare in and of itself.  I doubt anyone has a copy of this signed.  If you're going to turn around and sell this after getting it signed (whether it's tomorrow or 10 years from now), I would pick the issue that is currently in the best condition.

Also, I'm assuming that the Amazing Adventures #3 is from this series?

http://www.comicspriceguide.com/p-issues.aspx?RYwBpYEjR4KMeXg80fkuc0%2bsiEtAoJjuyMglpygUSH4%3d

If so, I'd love to see the cover.  Can you scan it and submit it into CPG?

Or... are you just posing this as a hypothetical and don't actually own any of these. Wink
By oxbladder - 3/2/2011 7:48:51 PM
masterlogan2000 (3/2/2011)
... in 3 years when the "House of Ideas" brings him back.

What makes you think he'll be back in 3 years? FF maxi series is 12 issues and the first issue after that will be Fantastic Four #600 with the return of Johnny Storm.
By uthmandan00 - 3/3/2011 4:49:08 AM
Of the comics I posted (which i own all four) I plan on selling none of them. This is for my collection, and my collection only. I always love to see the great debate of slabs and signatures in the comic world. I myself am pro for both, alas I do think the prices people think you should pay because it has been slabbed are ridiculous. My reasoning is, he is getting older and I am not sure how much longer I would be able to get one. This will be CGCed though just for preservation.

Whatever books he actually worked on (as a creator) and not edited would be my choice. 
That seems very rational to me, great advice. Of course I would be lying if I said profit is not on my mind. some day my collection will be my sons. Now if he wants to sell it, I want it to be profitable for him (I hope he doesn't). I might come across something else before then but for now I am still undecided.

As for the cover scan I can do that i will try to get it done later today if not tomorrow.
By Brizzown - 3/3/2011 10:31:28 AM
Get Detective comics 400 signed by him.

But if it were me i would choose ASM 41, or if you have it FF 5
By masterlogan2000 - 3/3/2011 4:51:51 PM
oxbladder (3/3/2011)

What makes you think he'll be back in 3 years? FF maxi series is 12 issues and the first issue after that will be Fantastic Four #600 with the return of Johnny Storm.

Ha, very nice!  I bet they wait a couple more issues, though.  Squeeze as much money as they can out of us for a giant-sized #600.  Then for issue #605, they bring back the Torch, squeezing out more cash, and calling the book Fantastic 5 (with a $5.55 cover price, and 5 variant covers). Wink

uthmandan00 (3/3/2011)
As for the cover scan I can do that i will try to get it done later today if not tomorrow.

A cover scan would be AWESOME!

Also, any reason why you wouldn't choose all of them?  Will he only be signing one per person?  Why not bring your son along or send the book in with his name?
By uthmandan00 - 3/4/2011 4:28:10 PM
Also, any reason why you wouldn't choose all of them?  Will he only be signing one per person?  Why not bring your son along or send the book in with his name? 

I get one for free then it is $50 bucks. Only reason I get one for free is I will be one of the guys that drives him to and from signing ha ha ha... maybe i can get some more in the car.... I will take you to the signing if you will sign these for me... to bad i wont have the cgc guy with me...
By kcfike - 3/9/2011 3:05:50 PM
get the older comic for him to sign...should be a higher value.
By sclingerman - 3/10/2011 6:40:23 AM
In my opinion... it doesn't matter. He's Stan The Man Lee. I would have Stan Lee sign my _ _ _ _ if he would do it. It's one of my greatest dreams to meet him and have him sign something. (ONE of my dreams. The other one involves Jessica Alba and Jello.)
Also, I don't want to sound morbid, but he's 88 years old. Catch him now while you can. I HOPE Stan Lee lives to 110, but you never know.

If you're not getting his signature Officially Authenticated, have someone else take pictures of him signing it with you, Stan, and the comic in the pic.
By colorpit - 3/10/2011 9:20:48 PM
I think you have already been given the best advice on this thread so I won't bother to try and say what has already been said. 

I personally....would go with this philosophy.  What does Stan Lee make me think of?  Marvel Comics.   When I think back to the first time I remember as a kid thinking of Marvel comics or characters...what do I think of?  Spider-man.   And for me.....it wasn't comics....it was Spider-man and his Amazing Friends on Saturday mornings in the early 80's that really got me into Spidey, Iceman, Firestar and all the villians.  So for me.....I would have him sign a copy of Spiderman & his Amazing Friends #1 (one shot 80's book), then I would frame it...and hang it on my wall.    I could care less if it's worth anything.....as it's not for sale.  It's sentimental.  And it's a sweet cover with the Green Goblin!!  My 2.5 cents.

Good luck.  There really is no wrong choice to try not to overthink it.

Post a pic when you are done!!!

CP